Space Heaters Need Their Space
SERVPRO of Boyd, Carter, Greenup & Lewis Counties reminds you that half of all home heating fires happen during the months of December, January, and February. The National Fire Protection Association Agency offer the following safety tips:
- Place the heater on a hard, level, and nonflammable surface. They are intended to sit on the floor and not a table.
- Establish a 3-foot kid and pet-free zone around the heater, and never put a space heater in a child's room.
- Keep the space heater at least 3 feet away from such combustible materials as furniture, bedding, and curtains.
- Do not use a heater in a workshop or garage near paint, gas cans, or matches.
- Turn it off when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Unplug the heater when not in use by pulling the plug straight from the outlet. Check the cord for damage periodically, and do not use it if it’s frayed or worn.
- Do not plug another electrical device or an extension cord into the same outlet as a heater, which can cause overheating.
- Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home and test them monthly.
SERVPRO of Boyd, Carter, Greenup and Lewis Counties is always available 24/7/365 to service your needs!