TIps to Prevent Frozen Pipes
Cold temperatures are inevitable. When freezing temperatures hit, here are some helpful prevention tips:
- When you know temperatures will be dipping below freezing, allow water to run in all the sinks at a slow, constant drip. It only needs to trickle, and that tiny amount of water will keep the water moving through the pipes and prevent them from freezing.
- Open up the cabinet doors in the bathrooms and kitchen. This will allow the heat from the home to circulate and warm up the pipes.
- Keep the garage door closed to keep garage pipes from freezing.
- Keep your house at a warm, consistent temperature both day and night.
- If you leave your home for extended periods of time, do not set your thermostat lower than 55 degrees.
- If you do end up with frozen pipes, a hand-held hair dryer or heat lamp can thaw them.