Smoke Alarms Save Lives
Smoke alarms play a vital role in saving lives, and when properly installed, can reduce the risk of fire injury in half.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends smoke alarms be install in every bedroom, outside all sleeping quarters and on every level of the house. Business owners should consult the local Fire Marshall to ensure specific building fire codes and smoke detectors requirements are met.
Smoke alarms work best when paired with a fire escape plan. A plan allows your family, employees or client to escape quickly and safely in an emergency situation.
Review the following tips regarding smoke detector installation and maintenance.
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home including the basement.
- Smoke alarms should be installed away from the kitchen to prevent false alarms. Generally, they should be at least 10 feet from a cooking appliance.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using a test button.
- Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year. If an alarm "chirps" the battery is low and should be replaced right away.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old